Elm is the summer residence of Edward Julius Berwind and his wife in Philadelphia and New York. Mr. Burwind made his fortune in the coal industry. In 1898, Burwinds asked the Philadelphia architect Horace Trumbauer to design a house modeled after the French chateau “Asniere” (circa 1750) built on the outskirts of Paris in the mid 18th century.
After his wife died in 1922, Mr. Bullwender invited his sister Julia to be the hostess of the New York and Newport homes. Mr. Burwind died in 1936 and Miss Julia spent a summer in Elm until her death in 1961, when her house and most of her belongings were publicly sold. In 1962, the Newport County Conservation Society purchased the elm and opened it to the public. In 1996, the elm was designated a National Historic Landmark.