The Breakers Garden is the most spectacular of Newport’s “cottage” summer businesses, and is also a symbol of the Vanderbilt family’s dominance in American society and economy at the turn of this century.
Breakers Stable & Carriage House is located on Koggeshall Avenue, approximately half a mile west of the house. The horse was built in 1895 and is 100 feet tall and 150 feet wide. It is U-shaped and has a carriage booth in the center of the Venture Carriage photo.
The Breakers covers an area of 13 acres. Historically, it was the site of an important landscape designed byErnest W. Bowditch was the central figure in the evolution of landscape design in the 19th century. In the second half of the 20th century, this landscape needs to be restored.