This private garden is built on the parking lot of the Art Institute of Chicago, can receive 2 million visitors annually and is open to the public for free. The garden was completed in 1967 and is one of Dan Kiley’s best-preserved committees. Moving inland from Michigan Street, two raised beds were planted in three rows of staggered locust trees with shading of privet, ground cover, and flower bulbs. The central square space is divided in two by a rectangular pool, at the end of the rectangular pool is the Great Lake Fountain sculpted by Lorado Taft in 1913. Hawthorn planters provide seating on either side of the pool. The center height of each planter is 20 feet and is decorated with ground cover and herbs in the summer. Trees cover the entire square and surround the fountain. In the hot summer it becomes a cool and peaceful oasis, and the sound of the water in the fountain and the splashing of the pool weaken the noise of the traffic. You can enjoy the garden in spring and autumn, but believe it or not, it will be summer one day.
Entry is free, tickets to museum require admission.