This 8.5-acre park is located on the Willamette River near the Washington Jefferson Street Bridge and is called the Owen Rose Garden. In 1951, former Eugene board member and lumber contractor George E. Owen donated 5 acres of land to the city. Now, this is the first in a series of river park plots from the river ferry bridge to the Greenway Bicycle Bridge near the river center of the valley.
After Owen donated the land, the Eugene Rose Society immediately donated 750 types of roses. Now, this original collection has expanded to a landscape of over 400 plants and more than 4,500 roses. From 1999 to 2004, the Rotary Club of Delta took the lead in a large-scale renovation of the rose garden.
The rose garden features world-famous Oregon heritage cherry trees, expansive lawns, public restrooms, barrier-free gravel paths with benches, paved walkways and 28-foot diameter pavilions, pergola picnic area, parking and maintenance facilities, as well as a large number of traditional roses and roses attached to the hair.