The Honolulu Botanical Garden is located in downtown Honolulu, covers an area of 13.5 acres and is part of the Honolulu Botanical Garden system. It began in 1853, when Queen Karama leased 5.5 acres of land from the German physician and botanist William Hillbrand. It introduced many new plant species and is now Hawaii’s oldest botanical garden. In 1884, Mary Mikahara Robinson Foster purchased the land to plant and expand the Hillbrand Botanical Garden. After her death in 1930, she donated the botanical garden to the city of Honolulu and Honolulu County and kept it for the general public.
Later developed by Harold Lyon and Paul Weissic, it now has 23 historic trees (designated as “exceptional trees”), palm, ginger and heliconia terraces and prehistoric times. Times Orchid Conservatory of Music. There are also several monuments and sculptures in the garden. Foster and Liliuokalani Botanical Garden were registered in the National Historic District in 1993.