Berkeley Rose Garden was consecrated in September 1937 following four years of development. The building of the garden was projected by Civil Works Administration. It was one of many community park projects funded by the national government to secure labor during the Depression.
The main part of the Rosario A semicircular mahogany arbor, which stretches across the width of the amphitheater, ensures not only visual identification of the place, but also a framework for climbing roses and shady benches. The establishment of 2500 rose shrubs was scheduled the East Bay Counties Rose Society under the direction of Charles V. Covell. Roses were planted in one color on each terrace, from shades of red on top to bronze and from pink to yellow and white from below.
As the residential buildings continued northward into the top hills, the Cragmont Improvement Club broadened its streetcar service to Cragmont by constructing a streetcar overpass across the canyon. The overpass was dismantled, and a ground bridge was constructed in the 1920s.
In 1913, a park and a club house were constructed on the eastern side of the land bridge in the Codornices Club area. But the western side of the land bridge was not improved until the pink garden was built.
Claim listing is the best way to manage and protect your business.