Located between the Pacific Ocean and the mountains of the Los Padres National Forest, the Casa del Herrero (Blacksmith House) was originally planned by architectural worker George Washington Smith and landscape-artist Ralph Stevens. The 11-acre estate was finished in 1925 and includes many ancient metal structures, tiles and stone engravings bought in Spain and elsewhere in Europe. While the initial planning for the building and garden was presented by Smith and Stevens, both items were designed in the 1930s by a team of designers that eventually consisted of architect Lutah Maria Riggs, landscape architects Lockwood de Forest and Francis Underhill, as well as antique dealers Arthur and Mildred Byne.
The team worked with each other to create a solid Mediterranean design that combines a house in Andalusian style with a Moorish garden. The garden includes several Moorish tile fountain systems, citrus gardens, long curbs, the dominant axial whist and the garden of cacti (or Arizona). The garden rooms of different sizes are surrounded by arcades and white stone walls, whereas the stone pathways join the various sections of the garden. The tightly planted area is in the center, surrounded by tall eucalyptus trees mixed with palms. Casa del Herrero was declared a national historical landmark in 2009.